What is NoBudge?
NoBudge is an online screening venue for new indie films. We have an open call for submissions year round.
Can I submit my film if it's already available?
- Yes. Feel free to submit any film regardless of premiere status or existing availability. NoBudge is not an exclusive platform.
What type of films do you screen?
- All types. Narratives or documentaries or hybrids. We recommend you watch some of the films on our site to get a sense of our taste but we like anything distinct, whether it's naturalistic, stylized, funny or dramatic. Character or tone-based films may have a better chance than plot-driven or genre, but that's not always the case.
Is there a fee to submit to NoBudge?
- Yes, there is a $25 submission fee for shorts (under 25 minutes) and $40 for features (over 25 minutes).
Do I get feedback with my submission?
- We don't offer feedback on Regular submissions, but we do have a separate category where you will receive feedback from NoBudge founder & curator Kentucker Audley. Click here for that.
Do you accept films from outside the United States?
- Yes. As long as it's in English or has English subtitles.
Can I ask for a waiver?
- We don't grant waivers. Sorry. We think it's only fair that everyone submits on equal footing.
When do films screen online?
- Anytime. Depending on a film’s strategy, a film may premiere directly online, or it may wait till after a festival run. If your film is chosen for NoBudge, you have complete control over the screening availability. Also, you keep 100% of the rights of your film.
How will you post my film, if accepted?
- In most cases, we embed your film from your personal Vimeo link. We can also upload to our Vimeo channel if that's preferred. Additionally, we usually upload our selections to our YouTube channel a week or so after they premiere, but that's not required.
Who decides if a film is accepted?
- The films are all watched and selected by filmmaker and actor Kentucker Audley.
When will I hear back?
- All films will be notified within 1 week if they are accepted or not.
Can I submit a web series?
- Yes, we consider serialized content. If we accept, we would post all of the episodes at once, rather than a separate post for each episode. If the total run time is under 25 minutes, submit it as a short film. If over 25 minutes, please submit as feature film.
What are the NoBudge Awards?
- Every year NoBudge selects some of our favorite films to be recognized with a NoBudge award. It's more of a "Best Films of the Year" list because there is no ceremony or prizes, but we call them awards because there are several different categories like Best Film, Best Comedy, Best Performance, Best Editing, etc. All films that have screened on our site for at least 30 days are eligible. Previous Winners here.
How does NoBudge publicize its films?
- We post about every film via our Twitter, Facebook and Instagram accounts and send out a weekly email to our mailing list. However, we are a small site with no advertising or publicity budget, so it’s largely the responsibility of the individual filmmaker to generate exposure / traffic.
Is NoBudge a distribution company?
- No. We curate self-released films. We encourage our filmmakers to seek out additional channels to spread their film. We don't take any licensing rights or collect any profit from your film.
*Please note: we don't accept all films on the basis of having no budget. We are a curated site. Thank you.*